Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Newcomer Q&A: Garrett Barrera

Garrett Barrera
#19, LHP
 How did you end up on the team?

I tried out my freshman year and I didn’t make it, so I tried out again this year and ended up making it.  I wasn’t really recruited, I just really loved the game so I tried out. 

What was it like being at the open tryout?

There were a lot of kids there.  There were a few kids there that looked to have some talent.  It was nerve-racking because it was something I did want and I did work for it all summer.  I played summer ball with one of the other players, Shane Biles, down in Zanesville and, like I said, I worked hard for it and I really wanted to be there.  It was nerve-racking at first, but hearing them call me back and getting all the paperwork filled out was relieving. 

Now that you’ve made it, what’s it like being apart of Kent State baseball after watching the success they’ve had?

As a kid I’ve always watched Kent State baseball.  My grandma lives right down the road and I grew up there a lot as a kid because my mom was a caregiver for my grandparents, so I was always up here watching the games.  From high school it was only 20 minutes away, and it’s always been a big thing about where I’m from because it’s a really good program and is known nationally.

You have a unique throwing motion.  How did that come to be?

It’s been a thing I’ve messed with a lot because it’s hard for me to stay consistent.  At the tryouts it was one way and then during the fall it was another way.  I need to hopefully find something consistent through Coach Birkbeck helping me and teaching me new things.  It’s been changing to find something I’m comfortable with; I can’t really find anything.  So far during individuals I’ve toned it down and found something a little bit easier for me.  It’s not as much stress and energy use on my body so it makes me more consistent in the zone.

How do you think fall ball went?

I think it went well.  For me personally, I have a lot to improve on.  I think the team did really well.  It was my first time ever having fall ball with the team and I think it went really well.  I think we need to hopefully find a vocal leader and I hope some upperclassmen, and even underclassmen, step up as a leader because I think we have a lot of leaders, just not any individual leaders that have stepped up yet.  I think it will be a good season if we put the work in this winter and believe that we can strive to be in Omaha, I think that’s where we’ll be.

If there were one thing you bring to the team, what would you say that is?

In high school I was always taught to be like a bulldog on the mound.  That’s just how my personality is in everything I do.  I will always be behind and supporting my teammates.  I’ll always be a rock; I’ll always be there for anything, on and off the field, but hopefully on the field if they rely on me on the mound.  I’ll give everything I have.

What is the one thing you want to improve on this winter?

Mainly my control on the mound and being able to relax and find my zone a lot more without putting as much stress on throwing and being more controlled up there.



No comments:

Post a Comment